WACHAU- Diamond of the Austrian Danube
We invite You to this kayaktrip along the historical path between Ybbs Melk and Dürnstein as the part of the KAYAK-HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DANUBE.
“Even before the Neolithic period brought in changes in the natural environment of the valley, Palaeolithic‘s records of the valley have been identified in the form of “figurines” in Galgenberg and Willendorf stated to be 32,000 years and 26,000 years old respectively that testify to human occupation in the valley….
…The origin of the wine growing tradition in Austria, and in particular in the Wachau valley, and its popularity beyond its borders, is attributed to medieval period of the Roman settlements….Wachau is a source of Austria’s most prized dry Rieslings and Grüner Veltliners “
To sign put it into Basket
WACHAU- kayaktrip program:
08:00AM meeting in Ybbs.
We will get to know each other and the equipment, refresh our knowledge of safety and paddling techniques, and after loading the kayaks, we will hopefully start the water pleasures around 10 AM.
10:00AM – 6:00PM Depending on the level, enthusiasm and pace of the team, the following options are waiting for you:
- A: Ybbs – Weitenegg (here we cross to the Old Danube next to the power plant and take a lunch break) – Melk Abbey – Schönbühel Castle from kayak view ( Distance: 26km)
- B: Ybbs – Weitenegg (here we cross the Old Danube next to the power plant and take a lunch break) – Melk Abbey – Schönbühel Castle – Aggstein ruins – Willendorf – Hinterhaus castle ruins – Spitz an der Donau cable ferry – Dürnstein from kayak view ( Distance: 49 km)
The Danube runs relatively fast in this section, so our speed can be kept at 7-8 km / h, dictating an average pace. The tour guide recommends the menu “B”! But it is up to you which distance we choose. This will be decided together latest before the start of the tour, and depending on this, we will take a car to the evening campsite before departure, to shortening the logistics wait before leaving home.
6:00PM arrive to campsite
From 6:00PM : Set up the campsite, recharging energy, possibly optional programs like sightseeing, visiting wineries. Transport one of the cars to the next day’s destination.
09:00AM Departure, so get ready with the packing and breakfast until.
09:00AM – 4:00PM Depending on the distance of the previous day, we will pass the following attractions:
- A: Ruins of Aggstein – Willendorf – Hinterhaus castle ruins – Spitz an der Donau cable car – Dürnstein (Distance 23 km)
- B: Dürnstein – Krems – Altenwörth power plant (transfer to the Old Danube) (Distance 28 km)
There are not so many spectacular castle ruins and mansions on this stretch, but the sight of nature is still worth a Mass.
4:00PM arrival at destination
- A: to Oberloiben
- B: to Altenwörth
4:00-7:00PM While we take care of the cars, the others:
- A: Dürnstein Abbey and nearby wineries can be visited.
- B: Relaxation, reload the experiences…
7:00PM Traveling home
According to the tour guide, he prefers freecamp, but the landscape is protected, so we stay in a campsite. Bring your camping equipment (tent, sleeping bag, mattress) .
Everyone should take with 2 days of cold food. You can even buy this on the spot.
Recommended for a freecamping breakfast like oatmeal, scrambled eggs ..
During the day, seeds, nuts, dried fruits, chocolate…
Dinner available at the campsite restaurant (reservation required).
Homeward:After we brought the vehicles back from Ybbs, we leave the same way as we came.
It is possible to bring the cars to the campsite as early as Saturday night.
WACHAU- kayaktrip: number of participants, and for whom we recommend:
Max. 6 persons
Recommended for kayakers who can control the kayak even in faster rivers, have knowledge and minimal experience in hydrodynamics science. If you have paddled with us at least once or attended our workshop, we can prove your knowledge. We do not recommend this tour for kayak virgins due to the faster sections.
The tour will be held with a minimum of 3 participants.
Tour fees: 43000HUF (120Euro) / person
- Included professional tour guide and equipment (kayak, vest, paddles)
Extra charges payed individually:
- Extreme sports insurance
- Everyone organizes their daily food individually, we help you with your purchase. There is a supermarket on the spot.
- Rental of camping and hiking equipment if you do not have your own.
- Fees for optional programs.
- Accommodation prices in Rossatz / Stumpfer about 15 euros / person
Application deadline: until the number is filled.
To Join put it into Basket!
- visszaigazolt jelentkezés
- vízbiztos úszástudás
- Kajakos tapasztalat, vagy a túra előtt 1-2 túranap a KayakCrazy szervezésében.
- Kitöltött, aláírt felelősségvállalási nyilatkozat leadása.
- egészségügyi alkalmasság és megfelelő túrafelszerelés
- extrémsport biztosítás
- az adott országba beutazáshoz szükséges igazolások megléte: covid-teszt, oltási igazolás…stb.
For tours and workshops of 2 days or more:
- If the tour is not made due to us or covid regulations, the tour fee will be refunded.
- If you cancel more than 60 days before departure, the tour fee will be refunded.
- If you cancel 59 and 30 days before the start of the program, 50% of the tour fee will be refunded.
- If you cancel less than 30 days before the start of the program, there will be no refund, however you can transfer the tour if you find another applicant instead.
I suggest you bring:
- several sets of wool or technical underwear
- neoprene shoes / sneakers
- gas cooker
- water bottle, dishes and cutlery
- dry bags for sleeping bags, madrass, clothes, tents, better more small than a huge one (think about packing it in the kayak storage compartments!
- light tent (which fits in kayaks – foldable quechua tent is not suitable for this)
- madrass and seasonal sleeping bag
- waterproof camera and phone case
- powerbank and / or solar charger
- toilet paper
- mosquito repellent, sunscream
- rain gear
- hiking boots
- necessary medications
🇬🇧 At KayakCrazy we love unique kayak adventures spiced with a pinch of challenge to gain life
Problem displaying Facebook posts. Backup cache in use.
Click to show error